Finalists have been selected! Look out for an email inviting you to the finalists’ event in UL on November 15th!
Schedule for the Student Science Competition Finalists’ Event November 15th, University of Limerick
9am – 10am Setup in the Foyer of the Foundation Building, UL
10am – 10.30am Welcome David Corcoran (Head of Department of Physics and of School of Natural Sciences) and project team
10.30 – 11.30am Judging of shortlisted projects
11.30 – 12.30pm Judges’ deliberations
Student and teacher refreshments (in Graduate Attributes Hub)
Physics: why and what! – Four UL researchers give their story: Cian McKeown; Sarah Guerin; Eoin O’Connell; Eileen Courtney
12.30-1.00am Announcement of winners and prize giving (Karen Sheeran, National Manager, Institute of Physics Ireland)
The student science competition is open to all students (girls and boys) in the three categories of
– Upper Primary (5th and 6th class)
– Junior Cycle (1st, 2nd and 3rd year)
– Transition Year.
You can enter as an individual or in small groups.
You can do your project on any physics-related topic, for example:
- Find an example of a famous physicist and do a project describing his or her life and research.
- Is there a factory or industry in your area that is based on physics?
- What about physics on the farm?
- Physics in the environment
- Physics as a mean to change the world
Your poster can be any size, but A1 or larger is recommended.
The poster does not have to be printed; it can be hand-made.
Creativity and design/presentation of their project is also taken into account.
Submission of entries
The deadline for submission of entries is the 4th of October 2019.
Submission format: Choose one of the following
1) Post your poster to
c/o Department of Physics,
Main Building room C0-063
University of Limerick,
Castletroy, Limerick V94 T9PX
2) Take a high quality photo of your project and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a short written description of your project (500 words maximum) along with your entry with the following headings:
- Title of Project
- Your name(s)
- Your category (Upper primary, junior cycle, transition year)
- Your school
- Contact details
- What was your project about?
- How did you research the topic?
- What did you find out?
Finalists will be invited to present their projects during Science Week in the University of Limerick on Friday, the 15th of November 2019.
You can email us at email@example.com for further information.